Hello friends and neighbors of North Fork! There is a story today that resonates with all of us who cherish all that makes the North Fork special. An iconic Laurel barn has deteriorated over time and its owners, who cherish its rich history, are looking for a way to save it. Residents are mobilizing to help. Also on this freezing weekend, kids and teens can enjoy a Sunday free skate at Mitchell Park in Greenport. Stay warm, stay safe and soak up the beauty of a winter weekend in the North Fork.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Breezy and much colder. High: 21 Low: 11. This is the Big Chill.
Here are today’s top stories in North Fork:
- Free Skating Sunday for Kids and Teens in Greenport (North Fork Patch)
- Iconic barn owners cherish its history and hope to see it saved (North Fork Patch)
- Rebuilding Cheerleader Tower in Riverhead (Newsday)
- Eastport lands Argentinian barbecue restaurant (Greater Long Island)
- North Fork Area Unemployment Rate Improvement: Latest Data (North Fork Patch)
- Sylvester Manor receives major grant (Shelter Island Reporter)
- Suffolk County Government: Coronavirus case update for January 12 (Office of News Releases)
- Oral history project planned for East Marion, restaurant under transformation – The Suffolk Times (Suffolk Times)
- Jamesport Manor will reopen later this year with relaxed fare and a new name (Northforker)
- North Fork Open House: Six announcements for the week of January 15 (Northforker)
Today in North Fork:
- AARP Driver Safety – Free Southold Library (8:00 a.m.)
- Celebrating the Great American Songbook (2:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Northforker: “Name a prettier place to live, we’ll wait. #nofo #northfork #northforker #greenport #wintersunset 📸: @kaitlynburke1” (Instagram)
- The North Fork Animal Welfare League: “It’s a happy day! Roxy was found emaciated on the streets of Georgia. She arrived here last week and now she has an amazing new family to love and spoil her. (Facebook)
- Cutchogue Fire Department: “Our first day was a huge success. Thank you to everyone who came. CFD continues to host Covid-19 vaccinations – TODAY and tomorrow January 14-15 – Welcoming the public / Walk-ins are welcome (Facebook)
- Southold Historical Museum: “In the early 1900s, ice boating was a popular pastime during the cold winter months. There were several ice boat clubs on Long Island, including the Orient Ice Yacht Club and Lake Ronkonkoma Ice Boat and Yacht Club (Facebook)
- Greenport UFSD: “Congratulations Melanie! Well deserved.” (Facebook)
- Greenport UFSD:Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Concerts and services:
Do you like the North Fork Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Saturday on the right foot! I will see you soon.
— Lisa Finn
About me: I am a journalist whose passion is to tell the stories of people’s lives. This is your site – it’s a place where your voice can be heard. I look forward to hearing from you.